News : 09/17/2021 ~ Win for Outpost Gallifrey

Dr X

Yes, all private messages were retained. The 142k files you reference are the main directory and you will want to reference /outpostgallifrey/mail to see the preservation of over 24 million emails. That is why the file is so large. It is everything. You can even search it for "Russell T Davies" if you want and you will find all of his communications, ever on OG. Everything is intact. Glad I could help. Maybe we should get together and build another sports car from scratch again. I'm game.

Dr. William T. Rooney III
Modesto, California

Kamelion

Wow, this is shocking.

What I am expecting now is a huge backlash of some sort when people find out that all Internet Doctor Who messages on OG have been retained. I mean should they be published again? I don't know. It's just good to have since I started the forum on a commodore 64 bbs in the 1980's. My God I had no idea how this would go down.

Thank you for the files. When I cross referenced it I found the archive in Norway. Thank you inadvertently for that.

I don't know if OG will allow restoring old accounts or not, but that's actually possible now. Wow. I didn't know everything was still out there. I thought part of it was lost, but obviously not.

Kamelion

Ohhhh SHIT!

I just found the OG account of Russell T Davis and it has TONS of messages in it about the development of the original series.

Somehow I think this feels wrong as I am looking at private E-Mails that Shaun Lyon apparently sold to Steve Hill, but they were never published.

There are over 400 messages that RTD sent on the stolen version of Outpost Gallifrey in 2005 alone.

The main issue is that these messages were intended to be private so that will be honored.

This is incredible to see. I am absolutely blown away to see this, that preservation of endangered web resources do and always did exist. I guess one must just ask.

Kamelion
San Francisco, California

Dr X

Whatever you want to do is up to you as that is your property.

I have been successful in data archiving. I went back to the old disks and sent you a copy of the commodore pet version you submitted at the Ceres High School in 1982. 'closetbbs" It had 'OutpostGallifrey" added since 1982, as it was in fact a forum. I recall seeing it as late as 1995.

Modesto, California.

Kamelion

Whatever you want to do is up to you as that is your property.

I have been successful in data archiving. I went back to the old disks and sent you a copy of the commodore pet version you submitted at the Ceres High School in 1982. 'closetbbs" It had 'OutpostGallifrey" added since 1982, as it was in fact a forum. I recall seeing it as late as 1995.

Modesto, California.

Thanks. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Those were the days. ILC that was running Outpost Gallifrey ended up being a sector edited version of UCBBS, which was a spinoff which was a spinoff of a spinoff of the original 'closet' code. It had to be sector edited in hex and even octo in certain compiled areas yet with that being considered it was fully able to be modified. One of the most stable versions of 'BBS' was actually distributed by the Ceres California High School in 1983. I believe that is what they all spun off from including UCBBS and it compiled variants. I can not believe that was nearly four decades ago. Damn.

I can't say thank you enough. This is going to wake some people up. Haha

Kamelion
San Francisco, California

Dr X

No problem, it's your stuff. Well, and the stuff of thousands of others.

I've been working on this all day and I just sent you a new file that logistically tracks when Outpost Gallifrey crossed over from the last commodore 64 bbs (mirrored on an Apple ][e) to actual Internet. It was on ILC (In Living Colour - 713-455-5050) and The Improbability Drive Inn (281-559-1542), both in Texas. You will see your transfer there in 1995 with Flex.Net that was ran out of Houston Texas. Your own email address and creds are in this, and keep in mind that they are not secured as this is only old data laying around and doesn't really have a security concern. Except for the users. All of that data is intact as well.

I suspect you are like a kid in a candy story now. But it is your data, so I will rest well. Glad I could get this back to you.

Take care my friend.

Modesto, California.

Kamelion

Bill, I have it. My God man! Thank you so much.

I had no idea how this would break my heart again to see the names of my friends that died.

There is one remarkable one. Pedro Contrereas

https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/marine-lance-cpl-pedro-contreras/263059

I watched this young man being raised along with his twin brother. They were some of the very first 'moderators' if you wish of 'In Living Colour', 'Hell's Gate', the 'Improbability Drive-Inn" and about half a dozen other linked by modem systems. They gave up their computer fun and joined the military perhaps to try to offset their illegal status, as they were from Mexico. Kind of. There were four kids and their parents were from Mexico. Extremely common until the late 1990's.

This family was one of the finest I have ever known, and they gave up one of their own sons for America.

Anyone should be able to clearly fucking understand that without any further explanation.

Pedro joined the Marines. Pedro died as a Marine in Anbar province, Iraq. June 21, 2004.

Pedro was one of the original forum admins of Outpost Gallifrey, way back when it was more focused on DOOM than Doctor Who.

Pedro and his family flew two flags in front of their home. #1 - The US Flag was flown at the top of their pole. Under it was the US Marines.

The history is actually staggering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other one - Brett Jones. That was my best friend for many years and while he also was instrumental in the founding of Outpost Gallifrey and his own CBM BBS titled Pergatory, Brett died in 1998 by a medical accident.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linda and Frank Wright of Baycliffe Texas both died on the same day in 2018. They were also founders of the original Texas BBS Network that carried Outpost Gallifrey.

It is sobering to see that almost everyone you know has died. Kind of makes you wary of just crossing the street.

I am amazed at how much history has been recovered. It's all due to everyone that contributed. It's an amazing and fun history any way you look at it.

Kamelion